If you’ve been paying attention to the Republican Supreme Court these past few years, you knew the conservative majority was willing to overturn Roe v. Wade.
Knowing didn’t make it any easier when we heard yesterday that the Supreme Court has already voted to overturn abortion rights.
But there are things we can do. We’ll be looping back with more details about events and calls in the next few days, but for now, here are five quick action items:
- If you need an abortion right now, Roe is still the law of the land. This is likely to change quickly, but it isn’t illegal yet. If you need care, check with a doctor or clinic. If you have an appointment in the coming days, go to it. And if you want to support access to abortion and other crucial healthcare, here’s a list of abortion funds you can donate to.
- Ensure pro-choice candidates win in November. The only way, long term, to take back the Supreme Court is to protect and expand a Democratic majority in the House and Senate and hold the White House.
- Start talking to everyone you know about the extremist Supreme Court. 75% of people and 53% of Republicans believe the choice to get an abortion should be between a pregnant person and their doctor. The extremists on the Supreme Court clearly don’t think so. We need everyone in the country to call their Representatives & Senators in Washington, remind them of this fact, and ask for a position statement.
- Participate in the #BansOffOurBodies challenge. Naral Pro Choice America is asking you to show that you’re one of the 8 in 10 Americans who support legal access to abortion by participating in the #BansOffOurBodies photo challenge. Share a photo of yourself with “Bans Off Our Bodies” written on a sign or on your body. Add a message, use #BansOffOurBodies in your post, and tag @NARAL on Twitter, @prochoiceamerica on Instagram, and @NARALProChoiceAmerica on Facebook. For the men, you can add #MenForChoice to your post. Take and share these photos across social media and encourage your friends to do the same.
- Show up to your local protest rally at Cody City Park, 1p.m. SATURDAY MAY 7. All over the country, at the Supreme Court and federal district courts, people are gathering in town squares, in front of federal courthouses, and the Supreme Court to declare #BansOffOurBodies and abortion is health care. Can’t make it this Saturday? Over the next few days, Indivisible be coordinating with partners like Planned Parenthood, NARAL, MoveOn, UltraViolet, and others to plan mass mobilizations and other actions. They’ll share those plans via email and text message. (If you’re not on their rapid response text team, text INDIVISIBLE to 59798, and they’ll get you set up.)
Time and time again, activists like you and I have held each other through moments of despair, then joined hands, picked up phones, showed up to rallies, and fixed things. We’ve resisted tough times before.
We’ll do it again, together.