August recess is officially upon us, and you can make your voice heard while our members of Congress (MoCs) are back home. This is a chance yet to hold your MoCs to account and affect the decisions they’ll make and the votes they’ll cast when they head back to Washington next month. We are excited to share Indivisible’s August Action Plan – they have developed a lot of new resources to help you make the most of this time.
Wyoming Rising – Northwest is developing plans for several events in the fall: a forum on civil dialog, community discussion about allowing guns in schools, educating the public about the economic benefits that immigrants bring to Wyoming, researching the track record of our state legislators, recruiting and training potential candidates for local and state offices. We have no formal actions for the August recess, but don’t let that stop you! You can always take individual and group action to resist the challenges that the current Administration in Washington presents.
Check out the Indivisible August recess toolkit. You’ll find all the instructions you need to plan great canvasses, find your MoCs at public events, and stand up at meetings. Over recess, we want to show MoCs that constituents will be there at every turn to hold them accountable.
Watch the Indivisible videos and make yourself heard.
Indivisible has created a video series to give simple and practical tips for constituents looking to make their voices heard. These videos cover some of the most common tools grassroots groups can use to exercise their constituent power this recess.
Click here to watch all five videos.
Get smart with Indivisible’s new recess policy resources.
Defeating TrumpCare was an incredible victory—brought about by constituent power. We need to keep the momentum going. Trump and his Republican friends in Congress are determined to ram through the rest of their agenda.
This August, we hope you’re able to meet with your MoC—if they’re not hiding from you. Here are some suggested issues to talk to them about:
- TrumpCare Accountability – Make sure that TrumpCare stays dead. Hold your MoCs accountable for voting for repeal, and make sure you thank your MoCs if they voted against it.
- Tax Reform – The next legislative priority for Donald Trump and congressional Republicans is to give massive tax cuts to the rich, paid for on the backs of working families. Tell your MoCs that you won’t accept Trump’s tax scam.
- Immigration – Trump continues his multi-pronged attack on immigrant families. There are ways that you can be an ally to immigrants, beginning with urging your MoCs to cosponsor these bills.
- Budget – Remember, Trump doesn’t decide what programs and agencies get funded, but Congress does. Make sure Congress is prioritizing you—and not Donald Trump—as they negotiate the budget.
- Environment – We’ve partnered with Al Gore to bring attention to climate change. Here is a toolkit to help you get engaged locally.
- Preventing Trump from firing Robert Mueller – We need to make sure that Donald Trump doesn’t create a constitutional crisis by firing Special Counsel Robert Mueller, the person leading the investigation of Russia’s interference in the 2016 election. Here’s how you can make sure that doesn’t happen.
Write an op-ed that makes a difference.
The OpEd Project offers resources on how to write, pitch, and place op-eds.
We believe that the right voices speaking up at the right time can have a big impact on decision makers. And we believe that our democracy is full of untapped expertise and potential. Check out the resource here and get those creative juices flowing!